What if you are convicted to take rehabilitation tests?
1. Letter from the prosecutor's office
By post you will receive a list of centres where you can take rehabilitation tests. You can choose yourself where you would like to take them. Within a month you must have chosen a centre, otherwise the prosecutor's office chooses a centre for you. Before receiving the letter from the prosecutor's office at the court, you can already choose a centre yourself.
The psychological examination
The psychological rehabilitation examination lasts on average 2 hours and consists of three parts:
- An interview with a psychologist
- Completing questionnaires
- Taking computer tests
The medical examination
The medical examination usually takes 20 minutes. Through an interview and medical examination, the doctor checks if your physical and mental state of health meets the minimum medical standards as described in appendix 6 of the RD of 23rd March 1998.
The doctor may request additional medical information if necessary. He will make a final decision when he has all the medical elements.
The psychological rehabilitation examination
The psychological rehabilitation examination usually takes 2 hours and is divided into three parts:
1. An interview
During the interview, the psychologist will ask you some questions about:
- Your offence(s) and the circumstances in which it (they) occurred.
- Your qualifications and professional position
- Your family situation and social and personal life
- Your consumption of alcohol, drugs or medicine
- Your mental state
Based on this interview, the psychologist appraises your behaviour in traffic and the way you have adjusted or will adjust your behaviour on the road.
The questionnaires give an overview of your consumption of alcohol, drugs and medicine and your personal characteristics which co-determine your ability to drive safely in traffic.
3. Computer tests
A computer enables us to assess the skills you need when driving in traffic:
- Your reaction speed
- Your alertness and your vigilance
- The speed and accuracy of your perception of traffic elements
You don’t need to be a computer expert to be able to take these tests.
After completion of the tests, the doctor and the psychologist discuss the results together. A decision is made under the doctor’s responsibility.
The doctor can make the following decisions:
- You are fit to drive and you can get your driver's licence back after your driving ban in court.
- You're not fit to drive. You can't get your driver's licence back. After 6 months you can do the rehabilitation tests again.
- Under certain conditions and restrictions you are allowed to drive. Special codes must be affixed to your driving licence by the municipality. They indicate what the conditions are, under which you are allowed to drive.